Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lake Thunderbird, Home Sweet Home

A standard view of Lake T-bird!












Lake Thunderbird is my bread and butter. This park is what solidified my decision in spending my collegiate years here in Norman, Oklahoma.  When I am out at Thunderbird, I feel this charge, this energy that is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. You could say there is something mystical about this place and to know it is man-made really shows are true ingenuity and worth to manufacture something truly worth-while.  I love the trees, the winding roads that crest into the sky, the water which is warm but is something Oklahoma needs to keep going if it ever rains here again and the mysticism of nature. This place is more than a park, it is an adventure, an experience of Oklahoma. The trails are awesome!!!  Nice sand or dirt single-track that winds up and down through the Oklahoma forest like you are riding some crazy roller-coaster ride.  I love it. I always tell people especially Ashlee that I have run at Lake Thunderbird today because a training run out there is more than just a run, it is an escape into a world where people and nature co-exist. Where you feel a connection with something higher than you there. Where oil or football is not the closest relationship you have with the land.  I  wish there was more Lake Thunderbirds out there. More little systems of Oasis(s) that provide all of us an escape from the rigors of daily life. I run because it provides me a system of balance that helps not only my mind but my body and spirit.  It is because of this activity that I can be cheerful or even saddened but I can tell everyone that I made great strides in improving my fitness and my longevity on this planet.  My family are great supporters of my running. Special shout-outs to my father Chuck and my lovely girlfriend Ashlee Prewitt for all the love and support you give me.  


Life is about those experiences that take your breath away and Lake Thunderbird does that for me. This place will always have a special spot in my heart.  Time to keep on running!


TO THE RUNNING::::::I was able to track 12 miles or 83 minutes of humid climbing out on the roads away from Thunderbird on 108th ave NE up towards Franklin Road.  Slow run because of the humidity and the climbing was tough but I managed to slog through it all and finish feeling accomplished as I did the ceremonial wade in the lake ritual which I partake in after every run out there. Cmon, why run at a lake and never dip your feet in the water? That is not fun! So I always manage to take a short dip in the Lake though I have to watch out for cat fish!

Running Bulletin: Brookhaven 5k--Norman Oklahoma---Prize Money to be won---Sept 3rd! Be there or be....Well in last place.


No comments:

Post a Comment