Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oklahoma Ultra Running Championships....

Let me begin by stating that this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have never felt so sick in my life but it was an amazing experience. I ran about 34-40 miles in the 6 hours and ran the majority of my miles at 20 in the first few hours.

I am proud to say I survived the race and somehow ended up winning the title of Oklahoma Ultra Trail Champion.  You would think the competition was not stiff but I beat a woman who was a Badwater winner in the 1980's and was a true veteran of ultras. She has run races such as Western States and Leadville 100 to name a few and she was GOOOOD! She kept 8:40-9 minute miles like she could go all day.  The course of the race was not a consistent 2 mile loop as many of the competitors including me were confused with lap splits when the pace that was run was not 8-9 minute pace for me.  I had hydration issues later into the run and suffered immensely. I went from a strong run to a nice run to a staggering walk to crouching on my knees in agony. I spent all of my strength as walking was a challenge as I tried to will myself from puking. I threw up a bunch. Say 15 times in those last two hours. I was so sick that a 30 minute nap in the middle of the race helped salvage me for a few more laps before I was crippled again. I do not know how I managed to win and I give credit to the amazing race staff and my fellow 6 hour trail runners for looking out for me and for walking with me in a great big pack. Everyone was so impressed with my early efforts that they really did keep an attentive eye on me. It was an experience I will never forget!

Oklahoma 6 hour Ultra Trail Champion...Has a nice ring to it indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment