Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Off-Road Running--Beach Run on Lake T-Bird

My run today lasted 1 hour 26 minutes and 30 seconds and 15-16 miles of work. But what made it memorable was running at Lake Thunderbird and discovering a new trail system, running by camp sites, and discovering an amazing shoreline that allowed for me to run on the beach, basking in the sun rays and running on elegant footing. It was quite an experience.

The run was incredible. Finally the mornings here in Oklahoma are mild where 50/60/70's feel like heaven over the hot hot hot hot 100 degree weather we had been experiencing. I set out on an adventure run like always and headed on the undulating hills. The weather was nice and brisk in the low 60's and I set out ready to find new trails and potentially new unexplored vistas.  I found exactly that.  I took a side road near the Archery range then shot downhill into a tree-lined and well-shaded campground I had never noticed before. It was perfect!  From here I saw the coastline and the rippling waves.  I ran down the slope and made my way to the beach-front. Because of the loss of water this summer, portions of the shoreline were greatly exposed so it made for beach running. I ran about 2-3 miles out on the coast as I traversed red clay rocks and well-packed sand. It was lovely! The sun was out, there was not a cloud in the sky and I was running at a nice clip.


Then after the coastline run I headed into tight wooded single-track throughout the park until I somehow popped out by the marina and then took the long straight road back to my car. It was a great run and I am so ready to run for 6 hours. This challenge is going to be tough but well worth the effort.

"Oklahoma Ultra-Running Champion" has a nice ring to it and I am going to ensure I provide myself the best overall chance for VICTORY!


Today---Thursday I ran with Scott all over Norman. It was great to see that man again and to just chat about life and running and other bare essentials. 80 minutes in the books and we ran a nice morning run and I am feeling like it is time to prepare for some great races coming up.  There is a bunch going on in my life this month and I look forward to getting everything in order.

I talked with Wisconsin La Crosse Graduate Park Management Program and they have a lot to offer me. We will just have to see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment