Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Road to Snowshoe Nationals 2013 In Bend

So far, I have been super busy with school, work, running, and I have been doing the best I can to spend as much time as I can with my amazing girlfriend, Ashlee.

Last night I ended up running late like around 10pm.  I took my flashlight and set out of the door with the crisp chill in the air. I ran out along the mainstreet of Homer and out to the bridge leading out of town.  It was such a peaceful run and throughout it, I envisioned myself winning the Cayuga Trails 50 miler.  I picked up my pace drastically the last 5 miles feeling the strength in my legs take me the ultimate distance.  I pictured myself coming up the last final hill, passing all of the top competition such as Sage C.  I felt strong and finished the run well.  Night running is something that feels almost out of a dream. You go through the motions and almost feel like the world is asleep while you are out there trekking in the outdoors.  I finished my nice 11 mile run and got ready for bed.

Today, Saturday Feb 16, I woke up at 7:30am, and was out the door with my Karhu Strong's which I have only run in for about the second week of training so far.  I also had the chance to try out my Mammut Hoody. It is amazing.  The warmth of the polar tech fleece is unbeatable. The fit is slim and athletic which I like, and the fabric stretches well and is a great trail running or just standard winter-running piece.    I decided to run up along Highway 11 out towards Mcgraw. I ran my usual uphill section that takes you along a nice ridgeline.  Some of the wind just penetrates this high-hill setting which was perfect as I utilized my hood to help keep the warmth in and it went without a hitch.  I ran a solid 42 minutes out and then headed back. It felt nice to get a solid run in.  After the run it was off to Ithaca to work at the Finger Lakes Running Store.

Sunday Feb 17---Freezing cold morning run up the steep hills of Blodgett Mills up to Greek Peak. I ran the right slope section which is a quad-buster. I ran pretty controlled and was able to almost fly up every section until the last steep up.  I remember Jim Johnson talking about side-stepping up a slope at Loon Mountain last summer and I tried that philosophy and to my amazement, it works really well.  It was funny, I was laughing as I side-stepped up the hill running a solid pace.  I then came back and refueled.  THe wind on the way out was nonexistent but on the way back it was a brisk -4 degrees which I had my Inov 8 face wrag that helped keep the wind at bay.


Feb 18----1 hour and 25 minute run out along 222 and out through the winding hills of Groton. It was a nice relaxing run though my Karhu's have a slight irritation point on them. Got in a solid 15.

Feb 19--Morning run out along to Blue Creek Road and the loop up to Wolf Road through Homer back home. Got in a nice 11 or so in 72 minutes. It is warming up out there. My Karhu strongs also have a nasty irritation point on the outer overlay of the shoe and it has been killing my pinkie toe.  I am thinking I could use a foam cushion to help the toe out.

Feb 20----Morning run in the snow--Out along East River Road.  The visibility got really bad by half way and I managed to slug through the rest of the run in my La Sportiva Vertical K's because my Karhu shoes have a internal frayed seam that allows for the overlays of the right shoe to cut my pinkie toe into oblivion.  I ended up with 78 minutes and about 11-12 miles I would approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment