Monday, March 12, 2012

Sooner 10k--Last Time out

Saturday was the Sooner 10k where I have been the defending champion for the past 2 years. This year was indeed my last and I wanted to go out a victor. It was a nice cool morning as my Puma gloves gave me just the right amount of warmth.  From the gun, I ran really controlled as I hit mile 1 in 4:58. Hovering right around 5 minute pace was where I wanted to be.  As I proceeded throughout the race, I felt that I might be just a tad tired from running long mileage days Wednesday and Thursday and I my legs just recovered from my fast trail run.  I made the move to slow down and stay relaxed.  I slowed to a 15:40 first 5k and then continued to hover around 5:20 a mile for the remainder of the race.  My strength from the gun was all that was needed to secure the win as I enjoyed my last go at the race. I crossed the line in 32:10 and some change and though it was not a fast time, I still felt great considering I was pretty tired and my legs did not have the extra gears today.  Now, I can rest up and really hit marathon form!  OKC is right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment