Sunday, October 28, 2012

Endurance Monster Mash 3.5 mile Race

First off here is the link for the results of the run: http://www.endurancemonster.com/uncategorized/race-results-for-monster-mash-2012


It was a nice cool morning at Skaneateles, NY, which is a wonderful lake town about 29 miles north of Cortland. I woke up at around 7am so that I could check out the town before the race.  It was a lovely morning as I made the drive.  Driving along the farm roads, I noticed intense fog so dense I felt like I was in London or something. After about 35 minutes of driving, I had made it to Skaneateles.  It is a nice place.  I drove to the running store then spent the next hour jogging around while  looking at the town surroundings.  As the race drew nearer, the excitement started to build. Not to mention that they delayed the race time by 10 minutes. I ran through my strides and got ready.  As soon as the gun went off, I knew that I was going to have a great run though my legs were a little tired from the Bear Swamp Trail run the other day.  I settled into  a nice pace and zipped onto a canal trail. The trail was nice crushed gray gravel and at this point about a mile and a half in, I began to pick up my pace.  I knew I was running through the first mile at around 4:50-4:55 as I looked at my watch around the first aid station.  Once out of the trail, the course sharply crossed uphill. It is amazing how every road race in New York always has a little incline or one small hill at the least though most races have some strong hills.  The hill did slow down my momentum but I kept running tough.  Before I knew it, I was at the finish-line running a 17:23 3.6 mile distance. I averaged around 4:50 meaning I ran about a 15:00 flat 5k or even a 14:50 5k.  I won a free pair of shoes, NB Trail minimus and some awesome gloves and water bottle all from Endurance Monster. It was a great race and I ran really strong with all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment