Saturday, March 30, 2013

Getting Back To Training

So far training has been going along alright.  My hamstrings have been suffering from the Syracuse Half Marathon but I do have a significant month-long break from racing to train hard and rest hard.  The weather here in Up State New York has been nice as we are warming up for spring. I am eager to get back to solid training and to get ready for a fun summer of racing.  I have a full schedule that will probably continue to change as new opportunities come my way. As for now, my peak race for early summer will be the Cayuga Trail 50 miler June 8th. The competition is going to be fierce with the likes of Dave Mackey and Sage Canaday and many others. If  I can mix it up and compete well with these guys, then the skies will be the limit for myself and Mammut. I hope this race can act as a platform for Mammut to enter the trail running media scene.  Most people have no idea what Mammut is and they need to know.  I will also be racing at Cranmore for the USA Mountain Running Team July 21st which will also be  a big competition.  Loon Mountain, The Great Adirondack Trail Run and potentially some other races will be great events to test myself and my gear.

I will also provide my first series of product reviews on all of my new Mammut gear which has been the best collection of any form of running clothing I have encountered.  Check out Mammut people!  They make great stuff. Solid trail shoes, the best apparel, and wearing a mammoth is always "COOL!".



Today, I ran a 2 hour  rustic trail run out by Greek Peak Ski Resort up in Tuller Hill State Forest. I ran a solid 18 miles with some snowy sections forcing me to walk and post-hole most sections.


Had a nice run for April Fools Day.  After work, I headed out along the back sections of Virgil, NY up the steep hills.  The sun was out, it was windy, and snow showers often were blanketing the area.  I ran up and down the steep hills overlooking the lush countryside which was so magnificent.  Upstate New York really is a gorgeous place to be.  Once I came out along Route 13, I turned back and decided to navigate a gnarly uphill slope reminiscent of Loon Mountain with a super steep pitch up the face of a high hill which was a snowmobile trail.  I made it to the top, turned back around and bombed the downhill.  I headed back and truly got in a solid workout considering yesterday's long effort out on the snowy trails.  Today, I had some leg turnover but it was more of a relaxing distance run of 13 miles to just work the body and start keying myself for next month and the rest of the summer.  I hope to be in even better shape so that I can mix it up in the trail/ultra scene here in America.  I am primed and ready to go so truly it is just a matter of not getting lost and having that confidence to perform my best.


Thoughts for today---Hoka One One Shoes---They say they make you fly and I am curious to see if that is the case.

*Kahtoola and Redfeather snowshoes----Curious how their snowshoe lines perform.

*I love my sponsor Mammut so much and cannot wait to get some more gear!!!!!  (Best technical apparel on the planet not to mention the best trail shoes in the market)


Tuesday--April 2nd- 68 minute uptempo hill run.  I did a loop out along the backside of Highway 13 into Homer up along Wolf Road in Homer and then looped back through town. Nice vertical. Solid pace say 5:40's through wind and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment